New improved entrance to The Avenue
By Jill Campbell and Pauline Maryan
It has taken 8 years but should last for 80…
It was as early as 27 November 2006 that The Stevenage Society for Local History committee first wanted to restore the gates which once stood at the High Street entrance to The Avenue.
We began in 2007 by speaking to local councillor David Kissane, who has always supported the project. The owner of The Avenue is the Burymead Trust, whose trustees are the vicar and church wardens of St Nicholas’ church, and they have also been involved.
During the next seven years the plan was amended to become the building of a wall with a commemorative plaque, plus an information board. This would include a brief history of The Avenue, an 1881 map, and photographs.
The project has been funded by the Local Community Budgets of local councillors, and The Stevenage Society for Local History. To complete it, contemporary bricks have been used to fill the gap between the southern (right) pillar and the wall of the adjoining property. “Before” and “After” pictures show the improvement.
The objective of The Stevenage Society for Local History has been, to quote member John Amess, “to see a more pleasing entrance to The Avenue, in keeping with the historic nature of Old Stevenage”, and we like to think that this has been achieved.