The National School, later known as Saint Nicholas School, opened on 1 January 1834 on Bury Mead. Even though attendance was not compulsory and a small fee was charged 116 boys and 91 girls attended on the first day. There were three departments to the school, Boys, Girls and Infants. However, by 1910 the number of pupils had grown to such an extent that it was decided to build a separate building for the boys in Letchmore Road. In 1963 the school was moved to a new site in Six Hills Way.