Tube Bending Factory at Caxton Way
By Jill Campbell
Peter Braine began working for the tube bending London company Hilmor in 1952. The company was founded in 1926 by John Hawes
In 1954 Hilmor moved into a factory in Caxton Way, part of the new town industrial area. Peter travelled daily from London to Stevenage for 6 months to work in the new site at Caxton Way. In his lunch hours he would sometimes cycle up to the new development of housing at Shephall to check on the progress of the building of his future house. On 1st May 1955, Peter and his wife Sylvia finally moved into their new home.
Peter remained working at Hilmor until 1987, working as a sales engineer and travelling around Britain and abroad for sales and exhibitions. The company exported to various overseas countries including Singapore, China and America. Over the years the company was split into divisions which were gradually sold off into different ownership. Anglia Power Benders took over the site at Caxton Way and Peter began working for them. Hilmor moved to the old Kodak site until 1997 when the company ceased to operate in Stevenage.